One of the biggest threats that plants in the Florida garden face is the root knot nematode (often abbreviated rkn). Nematodes are tiny and live in the soil. Some benefit the soil ecosystem and the plants growing in it. Root knot nematodes, however, do nothing but harm. They feed on the roots and cause blockages. This means that the roots cannot take up water or nutrients, no matter how much you water or feed them. Leaves turn yellow, and whole sections of the plant eventually go limp and die. After first learning about nematodes, I checked a dead tomato plant when I pulled it out to confirm. Sure enough, the roots were very blocky, short, and covered with little modules. Uggggh!!! This news frustrated me because I had read that nematodes are pretty much impossible to eradicate. There are definitely remedies that keep them somewhat at bay (post coming up), but no cure-all. If you're gardening in Florida, chances are you too will deal with nematodes because they LOVE sandy soil and heat (nematode damage is worse in the summer).
I learn something new every time I dig into the soil (ahem...sand) here in Central Florida. Not quite temperate, and not quite tropical, this is a unique region for gardening. I've had to learn quickly over the past six years about the plagues that Florida gardeners face, but also how to harvest the awesome bounty possible! Join me as I continue to work my community garden beds and develop an understanding of what it takes to have a successful Florida garden.
Friday, April 25, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good luck fighting those pesky rnk!
ReplyDelete