Dragonfruit - New Growth
 |
| Finally! New Growth! |
I'm excited to try my newest experiment in Florida gardening - Dragonfruit! I've always found the bright fushia fruit with it's black and white interior intriguingly delicious. Because there are a limited number of fruits and veggies that can provide during the sweltering, humid, buggy Florida summers, the tropical dragonfruit seems like it might be a good bet. Supposedly, one plant can produce 300lbs of fruit! They need to be grown up sturdy posts and then encouraged to branch out and blossum. I bought a 3 foot plant about 4 weeks ago. I put it in rotted pine fines and compost with some soybean meal mixed in for nitrogen. I let it work on getting its new, little roots established for about 2 weeks and then started giving it some water soluable fertilizer. It slowly became less yellow and more green. Finally, I was so happy to see the first new growth today!
No comments:
Post a Comment