I'm growing a variety of cantaloupe called Minnesota Midget, and the first one was delicious! Contrary to what you would think, I'm learning that early varieties of things, if they are not too heat sensitive, actually work really well in the warm climate. This is because they can sometimes out race the rampant bugs and mildew. In the summer, I'm basically always working with the goal of producing a crop before the plant dies off, which is the same goal gardeners have the far north with the short summer.
I learn something new every time I dig into the soil (ahem...sand) here in Central Florida. Not quite temperate, and not quite tropical, this is a unique region for gardening. I've had to learn quickly over the past six years about the plagues that Florida gardeners face, but also how to harvest the awesome bounty possible! Join me as I continue to work my community garden beds and develop an understanding of what it takes to have a successful Florida garden.
Friday, June 13, 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment